Favorite Songs From My Past – Thursday, September 3, 2015

I will be adding to and updating this list.
These are just a few of the many songs my dad got me hooked on.
DUELING BANJOS

hqdefault
From the movie Deliverance

This song was one of my dad’s all time favorites songs.
Arthur Smith Songwriter

Arthur Smith

A bit of history.

“Given the moniker “Guitar Boogie” to differentiate him from Fiddlin’ Arthur Smith after hitting gold with a song of the same name in 1945 (the tune was played by a young Paul McCartney in his Liverpool audition for what later became the Beatles), Smith wrote “Feudin’ Banjos” 10 years later as a banjo instrumental. The composition later famously appeared in the 1972 film “Deliverance,” ”

Burl Ives Singing Big Rock Candy Mountain

Tex Ritter:
Big Rock Candy Mountain

Cripple Creek

Earl Scruggs And Lester Flatt

Cripple Creek

High Noon
Tex Ritter – High Noon~Do Not Forsake Me~Film Soundtrack

“Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin’
On this, our weddin’ day
Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin’
Wait, wait along I do not know what fate awaits me
I only know I must be brave
And I must face a man who hates me
Or lie a coward, a craven coward
Or lie a coward in my grave
Oh, to be torn ‘tweenst love and duty
Supposin’ I lose my fair-haired beauty
Look at that big hand move along
Nearin’ high noon
He made a vow while in state prison
Vowed it would be my life or his,
and I’m not afraid of death,
but, oh What will I do if you leave me?
Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin’
You made that promise as a bride
Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin’
Although you’re grievin’,
don’t think of leavin’
Now that I need you by my side
Wait along (wait along),
wait along Wait along,
wait along (Wait along,
wait along, wait along,
wait along)”

Another Song Dad use to sing to me.
Cotton Fields

Cotton Fields
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Yes, I learned a lot from him.

1. Lovely song – Americans are much more sentimental the we stiff upper lip Brits..Love all those songs.

2. Erika Kind says:

Do not forsake me…….. oh my, I know that song and loved it. But I like them all. I love this country style. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. A wonderful idea, Sarah 🙂

1. I’ve been singing it ALL day.
      I still have a lot of trouble posting like that.
      I had so many Country Classics that I wanted to post . I had to stop somewhere.
      Have a good nights sleep.
      I should be able to go home tomorrow, Friday. Late afternoon. Swelling Is finally going down.

1. Erika Kind says:

It is a good thing to have so much you want to share. Do 2 songs a day 🙂 I cross my fingers that you can be home on the long weekend. It is labour day on Monday, isn’t it?

1. I like the 2 songs a day. I have so much I want to do and not the time to do it. Or rather the ENERGY to do it. So many ideas.
          Yes, it is Labor Day on Monday. This is one of the busiest weekends at the park. I hate missing out. I always help.
          Although we have been having HUGE lightning storms and most of the campground has water right up to the sites…..So I would be surprised if we got as many tent campers.The skeeters will eat them alive.
          Danny said this morning that we got another 2.5 inches of rain last night. We had over 12 inches of rain last week. It ‘s been unreal how much rain we have had. Then South of us, they are in a drought. It doesn’t make any sense?
          Erika, Have a good weekend….

1. Erika Kind says:

The climate differences are crazy. At least California gets some rain afte that long drought. I hope the weather will be better than expected.

1. It was already thundering out. We had another 1.3 inches of rain at the house and I think Danny said they had more in the camp ground.
              They are having issues with flooding right now…trying to get things ready for the weekend. Crazy people. I love to camp. But I am old enough to want my creature comforts.
              Plus the skeeters will EAT everyone alive. We have more than I have ever seen and they are out 24/7 you get eaten alive just from the car to the house. Danny has already warned me about them. I break out if I get many bites. BAD. He says they are in the house.
              But I am going HOME……Home has a wonderful sound to it.

1. Erika Kind says:

I am sorry for all the inconvenience you have because of the rain.

1. It’s really bad here. I want to see the park. I can imagine what it looks like but I would love to see it. Danny’s been taking photos. With his old flip phone.

1. Erika Kind says:

Patience is not always easy to have when we want something so badly, right? I totally hear you 🙂

1. I could use some patience now. My behind is TIRED of sitting in this chair. I can’t get comfy. Not in bed either. Needing to move around.

2. Erika Kind says:

It is a tough time… but it is only temporary. Big hugs, Sarah!

3. It helps that I have been much worse off before. HUGS

4. Erika Kind says:

I can imagine that, Sarah, big hugs back to you <3

5. Erika, The comment and my response just vanished as I was finishing it.
                      LOL

2. I had so many more I wanted to post .

1. Erika Kind says:

Take your time 😉

1. I will TRY. They have a heavier brace for my ankle /foot that I will be using for awhile. At least when I am home by myself. Danny needs to work this weekend. We are shorthanded. They offered to let him stay home with me but he won’t inconvenience them any more than he has to.
          Plus, he can come home to help if I need him to.
          It is hard admitting it, but I really DO need help right now.
          I don’t handle this part as well as I wish I could. I hate asking for help. I also hate having anyone underfoot. I am praying I can keep my mouth shut….
          Any plans for your weekend? How many of your kids are still as home? I know your daughters age. How old are the others?
          I have plans to start reading your blog from start to finish….when I get caught up.
          I have listened to all of your songs that were there. I am really enjoying them. They relax me. Your voice is soothing….do you have any more songs available? Any CD’s.

1. Erika Kind says:

Sarah, thank you for this most lovelycomment. I am glad you have the helping hand you need. I understand you, but perhaps that all shows you that you need to learn to accept help for yourself… because you are worth it!!! No particular plans, shopping for my son’s birthday party next week, other than that I will work on my blog prepare some quotes and perhaps some posts. I will see. My kids are all still living at home. Although my daughter is more at her boyfriends as here. I am glad she is happy. I also have two boys: 16 and 13 (next week).
            You will have a lot to do when you want to catch up with all of my posts. I did not have a lot in the beginning but meanwhild there are some at times on a day 🙂
            Those are all songs by now, Sarah. But I am constantly working on new ones.Hope my next song will be done in some weeks.No CDs so far. You make me very happy that you like them 🙂

1. I really do and I am not say that. So many women have voices that irritate me. I should talk. I don’t have a soft speaking voice at all.
              Yours soothe my soul. I can’t believe your range. I am anxious to have Danny listen to them….
              enjoy the party activities.
              I enjoy hearing about the family and your kids.
              I loved to have parties for them….On holidays as well. Fun times.

1. Erika Kind says:

It really is a big compliment. You are the first that even says my singing voice has a soothing effect. Thank you 🙂 Yes, my range is pretty wide 😀 I am very fortunate regarding that 🙂 Let Danny listen, what can happen other than he doesn’t like it 😉

1. Or he can say that he will listen later? Which is exactly what he did say. 🙂
                  LOL

1. Erika Kind says:

Hahaha…. men! LOL

3. neilirving says:

I love the way songs from our past stick with us,I still listen to the music I grew up with, that my parents loved and now my parents listen to the new music we love, everything in a full circle 🙂

1. I was fortunate. I had great grandparents that sang. My grandparents did as well. Both sides.
      I love it when they do come full circle. Hugs

1. neilirving says:

Great music lasts forever, my 14 year old son has just discovered Creedence Clearwater Revival through one of his xbox games

1. Neil, My son loved a lot of the music I did. He really enjoyed some of the Country Classics from the 40-60’s. Men mainly. Plus he loved the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and John Denver. We ended up getting to know both the NGDB and John Denver. Long story there. Got to know them well.
          Our love of the same songs meant we didn’t have the arguments that many parents had with their kids. He even liked Elvis and had some favorites of his. Elvis was my favorite.
          We had music on all the time. When I was gone, Bob would play the songs I HATED of his. He liked a few of the hard rock stuff. I was not a fan.
          We had a huge collection of records, 8 tracks and cassettes. It was fun collecting music together.
          Have a good weekend. I have trouble remembering that it is a holiday weekend. Danny has to work it. Do you have any plans?

1. neilirving says:

Thankfully we like the same music as the kids and as they are getting older they are enjoying some of the older music Lynne and I listen to, It was a holiday weekend for us last weekend and we where both off work, we are both working Saturday and off Sunday which will be our horsey day,
            what will you be up to this weekend 🙂

1. I am so glad your kids seem to realize that they have cool parents. Is “cool” the word to use any more?
              Glad you and Lynne have the same days off. That has to make a huge difference.
              Usually, I work at the park all weekend when it is going to be as busy as this one. We work (and live ) at a state park.
              I have been in the hospital the last 12 days (actually, I still am until around 2 this afternoon.) Long story there. I have lupus/fibro . Other issues. So I am laid up for awhile.
              I mean, no getting up except for the obvious reasons.
              That makes for a sore you know what.
              Don’t work too hard Saturday. Enjoy Sunday. 🙂

1. neilirving says:

Lol our kids think we are a bit strange sometimes and a bit embarrassing but they will have to get used to it, it runs in the family 🙂
                Hope you are feeling better and back on your feet soon
                Most of my paperwork is done so hopefully Saturday will be relaxed

1. What do you and your wife do?
                  Good for you about the paperwork.
                  We need craziness in our lives. 🙂

1. neilirving says:

I run the aftersales and parts department of a Peugeot Garage I have been working as of yesterday for the same company for 26 years https://neilirving73.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/september-4th-1989-i-started-working-for-windsors-of-wallasey/
                    Lynne is a care support worker working with the elderly in there own homes,
                    What do you both do for a living.
                    lol we love a bit of silliness especially on a Sunday 🙂

1. Good post. Happy Anniversary.
                      that is a long time to have worked at the same place.
                      I taught school for 17 years. Then when ran a daycare /preschool/ after school Program out of my home for almost 7 years. I am on disability now. When I can, I work as a volunteer here and at the park. Here meaning Rolling Meadows Ranch. It is an old sod farm the state is restoring to nature. It is where we live. Just a few miles from the park entrance. It connects to the park. It is not opened to the public yet.
                      Danny is a park ranger at Lake Kissimmee State Park.

2. neilirving says:

lol this morning it feels a very long time, luckily I have worked in a number of different departments over the years which keeps things fresh,
                      Lynne used to work in child care and ran a preschool for many years,
                      Just Googled Rolling Meadows Ranch and Lake Kissimmee State Park looks like a lovely part of the world, lol the funny thing is the reason I’m working this morning My work mate is on holiday about an hour or so away from you in Tampa 🙂 small world

3. WOW, It is a small world.