Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love gathering with friends and family to enjoy great food and give thanks. Through the years I’ve been experimenting with ways to make lighter Thanksgiving recipes that don’t sacrifice taste. Some of my favorite simple strategies for lightening up classic recipes include:
- Substituting naturally lowfat buttermilk or Greek yogurt for butter in the mashed potatoes.
- Slimming down the pie(s) by skipping one or both crusts or by making a light cookie or graham crumb layer instead of a traditional pie crust.
- Using all or part whole-wheat bread and substituting chicken broth for most of the butter in the stuffing.
- Skimming most of the fat from the turkey drippings before making gravy.
- Reducing the sugar in the cranberry sauce.