Family Favorites…Braunschweiger Spread

Family Favorites…Braunschweiger Spread
The Iowa Housewife

My son made and brought this braunschweiger (or liver sausage) spread or dip to a Christmas party, and it was a big hit.  They used to live in East Dubuque, and he says it is served on every restaurant buffet around there. Bettie has seen it on her country club buffet in this part of Iowa too.

Now Myrna and I were raised in a predominantly German community and both love braunschweiger, but we hadn’t tried it like this!  Dave made us each a container of it for Christmas, and we loved it and had to have the recipe.  Dave says it does freeze well too, if you can’t use the entire recipe at once.  He has tried a different version and thinks this is still the best one – it was given to him by Joann Pregler – thanks, Joann. We like the braunschweiger that comes in a larger roll with a yellow wrapper – John Morrell and Hillshire Farms are two brands; there are others in other parts of the country – use your favorite.  Our new favorite is from Frick’s…from Missouri.

I’m posting it so you can perhaps make it for your super bowl party; although it would be good anytime.   We ate ours on some crackers, and the next day as sandwich filling on homemade bread with real butter – my absolute favorite – but I think it’s also great on party rye bread slices.

Braunsweiger Spread.jpg

1. jdawgswords says:

now i’m hungry…see what you did…now i’m gonna have to get something similar…it’s your fault too…this happens when you don’t invite your cyber friends…shame, shame…

1. I haven’t been able to access any of my messages again, so I am just now seeing this. Our money is tighter than usual this month….So no Braunschweiger here.

1. jdawgswords says:

I totally understand…I only cleared $216 this week…and maxed a $300

1. We can’t even blame this month’s lack of month on Christmas.
          Have a good weekend.

1. jdawgswords says:

U2…low hours here

2. Jdawgswords says:

A $300 credit card…hopefully you account issues clear up too

1. jdawgswords says:

Hopefully things looking up in your corner…doing ok here

1. Messages don’t want to send

2. I get your messages right away.

2. jdawgswords says:

Maxed out a $300 credit card too…hopefully your access issues clear up soon too

1. jdawgswords says:

Thx for dropping by…things looking pretty good at the moment

2. Judith says:

My grandfather and I ate braunschweiger and crackers for snacks all the time. I love it. The funny thing is, I never buy it. No idea why. It just never enters my mind. I have a friend who sometimes picks some up and shares it, but I don’t think I’ve ever bought braunschweiger once in my entire adult life. I must change that.

1. Laughing. I love it. My grandma always made it. My mom always had it around, either homemade or in the orange/yellow tube.
      We ate a lot of it. I bought it all the time in Colorado.
      I have lived in Florida for 10 years now and I never see it to buy it.
      Craving it now.
      Have a great week.

1. Judith says:

I think I’ll add it to my shopping list. If I write it down, I will get it. 🙂 Such a great snack!

2. jdawgswords says:

expensive

1. Judith says:

My grandfather was a bit of a miser in many ways. He only spent his money on things he really wanted. I guess, German that he was, he must have felt braunschweiger was a necessity. 🙂

1. jdawgswords says:

for sure…totally understand

1. Judith says:

🙂

2. Sounds like my German Grandfather. Except he only used his German heritage when he wanted to.